Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Purging Copyrighted Tweets

Copyrighted Tweets
Censorship regulations are slowly creeping into the systems of social networking sites as pressure from governments continue to mount. A few days ago, it is the turn of Twitter to weed some of the copied tweets.

Some Twitter users who post someone else's tweets as their own are the first target after the micro-blogging service is deleting tweets reported as copyrighted.

Tech site The Verge cited tweets from user @PlagiarismBad indicating several tweets that copied a tweeted joke were deleted.

It said the joke was first posted by freelance writer Olga Lexell, who it said requested Twitter to have the tweets that copied her joke removed.

The Verge cited a protected tweet from Lexell indicating she "explained to Twitter that as a freelance writer I make my living writing jokes (and I use some of my tweets to test out jokes in my other writing)."

She was also quoted as saying "the jokes are my intellectual property, and that the users in question did not have my permission to repost them without giving me credit."

Lexell also told The Verge she had filed similar requests for other jokes.

Twitter allows users to submit claims via a web form, and its staff evaluate the request then act accordingly.

According to The Verge, the offending user is given 10 days to file a counter notice.

No comments:

Post a Comment